Thursday, May 18, 2006

Steve's Fish 'n' Chips, Shepton Mallet

Steve's is Shepton Mallet's original Fish & Chip Shop and is located in the centre of town, opposite The Bell. It's got that real chippie look and the awkward access that tells you that if there's any sort of queue whatsoever the food must be good. I get stuff from there regularly: this note is to show you what you'll get should you choose to visit and to provide a baseline for judging other local competitors...

As you can see, the F&C comes in traditional newsprint (albeit unused, thanks to the usual EC idiocy) and features those proper, bloated, really-cut-from-a-potato chips. By the time you get them home they're no better than lukewarm, of course. Yummy (especially with a good shot of Mayo). Try that with a little cardboard thing of McFries!





The fish? Gorgeous crisp batter, beautifully moist just-cooked cod. Perfect.

I know other people don't rate this place, but I really can't fault it. I've never had a bad meal from Steve's and every time I walk past I get this urge for a fish supper...

No comments: